Who is Gabrielle Bouscaren?
Gabrielle Bouscaren was born in Cincinnati in 1891. She was a caring woman of deep faith. In 1931, along with her brother, the Rev. Timothy L. Bouscaren, S.J. and Frances Homan, she introduced the Released Time Program in Cincinnati under Catholic auspices. Released time programs, which still exist today, enable students to leave their public schools to participate in religious education.
When Gabrielle died in 1986 she left not only a legacy of initiative in religious education, but also a bequest, the interest of which is to be used for religious education in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
The introduction of the Release Time Program was truly innovative at the time. It was a bold and creative idea that opened the doors to proclaim the Gospel anew. Now, over 30 years after the death of Gabrielle, the Church is asking us to “choose the missionary option” that is:
a missionary impulse capable of transforming everything, so that the Church’s customs, ways of doing things, times and schedules, language and structures can be suitably channeled for the evangelization of today’s world rather than for her self-preservation (EG 27)
The Gabrielle Bouscaren Fund
The Gabrielle Bouscaren Fund has been used in the past few decades to support the on-going education of Catechetical Leaders. We will continue to offer grants from the fund through the Gabrielle Bouscaren Continuing Education Grant. The Center for the New Evangelization has decided to return to the original spirit of the Fund; that is to support innovative, bold, creative, mission-focused parish initiatives. We are excited to expand the scope of the fund to be able to offer Missionary Option Grants.
- Grants of up to $1000 will be awarded to parishes that meet the requirements
- There will be two application deadlines a year. November 1 and April 1
- Grant recipients will be notified by December 1 or May 1.
- The grants are payable to the institution offering the program or initiative.
- The Program or Initiative must be sponsored by an Archdiocese of Cincinnati Parish, School, or Religious Institution.
- The Program or Initiative must have a clear evangelization dimension and a clear catechetical dimension.
- Grant monies must be used directly for the implementation of the program or initiative, not for staff or ancillary costs.
- Applications will obtain a letter of recommendation or statement of support from the Pastor if the Pastor is not the applicant.